A N ● O R G A N I Z E D ● P L A Y R O O M

I love Christmas, but that holiday can also terrify me. Logan is a very lucky little human, that receives too many gifts each year. And while we are thankful, the reality of where it all goes hits me hard, come January.

Now that Logan is in school a few hours a week, I'm able to sneak into his playroom and purge. I promise that I'm respectful with the toys he loves and actually plays with. But if it came from McDonalds, is a duplicate, or a freaking rock; it's time to go.

Last week I cleared out a large tub full of toys that other kids will certainly enjoy, and our kiddo is none the wiser to my stealth mission. BTW, he still has too much!! But I think the hoard is manageable now. To the point that I've figured out a good plan on how to rotate out the toys, so he'll get a chance to play with everything - just not all at once.




Here's how I organized the room from left to right:

Pretend forest / woodland creature tent


Toy box for larger toys
Small love seat for the adults


House pretend play section / kitchen / doll bed and high chair / cleaning toys


Toy cubbies
Bookcase storage
Books

Dog photo bomb

Now zooming in closer -

Bins from top left to bottom right:

Vehicles, Dinosaurs, Educational, Toys, Playmobil sets, Animals



Left Bookcase:

Play-doh, sets, mats, and accessories
Paint and supplies
Paper roll and crayons
Grocery store pretend play
Play-set (Currently Zootopia)



Right Bookcase:

 

Vet pretend play
Doctor pretend play
Tools pretend play
Play-set (Currently Trolls)
Sensory bins - Outer Space, Ocean, Zoo, Construction, Farm, Desert


 

I don't have any before pictures really, but every inch of every shelf and surface, was covered with something. I'm sure it was a sensory overload, that translated into him not using the space that often.

My goal now is to keep the middle shelves sparse, and rotate out play-sets and toys, whenever I can. I'd say weekly but I know life happens.



Since I've changed out the setup, I can confirm that Logan loves his play room and wants to be in there constantly! It's been a joy watching him pretend in his own little world.







Comments

Popular Posts